Monday, February 11, 2008

Chapter 1: I Know this Music

Hoping that things had changed from the very beginning, I deleted my old character and started a new one. Not to my surprise, however, my character still happens to "start out" at the end of an inconspicuous alley with no explanation how he got there or why he is outside.

Hmm, this looks like a good place to magically appear from.


And still, equally not as surprising, the first message I receive is from the mysterious Murmur, who claims to need my help. He too is just hanging around in the alley for no particular reason as well.

Hello. I'm not a suspicious fellow because I'm the only person in the entire game who doesn't carry a weapon when I go to the surface.


And also not to much of my surprise, I click on Murmur only to find that the UI is still just as horrible, making it a click-fest just to read menial text in quests. Whereas developers were probably trying to go for a conversational piece in which you can only handle one sentence at a time, it doesn't mean much when you don't have voice actors for the quest text itself. Instead you get something to this effect:

Oh.

*CLICK*

Hello.

*CLICK*

How are you?

*CLICK*

Good.

*CLICK*

Well.

*CLICK*

I want you to go kill 12 demons for me.

*CLICK*

Yes.

*CLICK*

Free of charge.

*CLICK*

Oh, alright.

*CLICK*

I'll give you some palladium.


*CLICK*

Maybe.

*CLICK*

And an item too.

*CLICK*

But don't expect anything riveting.

*CLICK*

Right then.

*CLICK*

Off you go.

*ACCEPT QUEST*

So what this really ends up doing is just making questing in general just so damn annoying. I mean, everyone in alpha said it, everyone in beta said it, and people today are still saying it. Fix the damn UI. But apparently such things over at Flagship Studios are too hard to accomplish. And yet I'm sure so are many other things that I will find along this game are as well too, especially when you can't fix the same old garbage that was in your alpha client. Oh well. I guess we all can't be logical.

Anyways, I take Murmur along with me to a clearing where six or seven dead Templar lay strewn everywhere with one hanging by a thread. Strangely enough, there only seems to be about four or five LV1 zombies in the vicinity that my LV1 bolters make short work of. Hmm. Yeah. So let's recap so far. Apparently the elite of the elite demon killers--a group of seven no less--were slaughtered by about five zombies. More so, they even managed to leave one alive to give you some important quest item, all the while this Murmur character, who was only standing in an alleyway 50 feet away, acts oblivious to the whole thing. Oh, and don't forget the part where my character also was in that alleyway too.

Oh, hmm. Haven't I seen you before? Yes, weren't you just slaughtering my comrades? Oh, no, that wasn't you? Oh, sorry then. Well, I won't bother to mention it again then.


I mean, c'mon, does Flagship expect us to have been dropped on our heads? Not only does this farcical plot make zero sense so far, it's also been solved within the first five minutes of gameplay. Oooh, Murmur is a bad guy. BIG SURPRISE. Ugh. Maybe I'll at least have better luck in my gameplay experience.

Sorry Joey, but due to cut back in development time, we're just going to have to give you a peg leg. Don't worry, half of the game is getting replacement textures as well.

No comments: